Monday, May 10, 2010

HMD to meeeeeee

The best things in life aren't things.

Art Buchwald · 1925-2007

When someone has given so much of herself through the years, it's hard to find a way to say thanks...
Thanks honey
I love you too!
Several years ago I made a rule that my kids aren't allowed to spend money on Mothers Day gifts. Since I like to shower my own parents with presents, I recognize my contradictory example to "do as I say, not as I do". Still, I hoped to liberate my own from the Hallmark Holiday pressure to go out and buy me something. To that end, Sarah deserves credit for honoring her Mother by honoring my wishes.

Neal, on the other hand, forgot about the rule and presented me with a purrfect gift: A new mousepad to replace the unsightly hand-me-down I've used for years. And since my new computer came with one of those oddball keyboards, he shelled out even more money for a fancy ergonomic one. Blogging's gonna be a breeze now!

New mousepad
Covered with cat hair? No sweat!
Whoever used this mousepad is a P-I-G pig!
Looked even worse before I scrubbed it

And although my rule wasn't intended to demand time consuming chores or gifts from the heart —

Lori and Maggie did both!

My granddaughter the artist

Sample of sampler
Sample of sampler
Click on the image above to see Lori's completed project

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:07 PM

    I think you have an excellent idea. It makes me wonder why I didn't think of it. I am glad you did a blog post on this subject, so I can comment on the fact that I was there when you opened the mail from Lori and Maggie. I had the pleasure I seeing it just about the same time as you did and your joyful tears on its receipt. It's your idea, but I think it is way past time for you to set a good example. At this point in my life, I need no material gift to prove that you love me on Mother's Day or any other day. I know this fact just like you know that I love you. Yes, it is high time for you to "do as you say." That goes for your sister as well.

    There is almost no love greater than a parent for their child. As far as I'm concerned, the only love I know of greater is that of God for his children. We experience such love because GOD is LOVE.

    All of us owe our gratitude for this gift to God because our God created us in His image.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting my blog!